Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Visually mapping Los Angeles

My last post suggested that poor public transport connections and the dominance of the car in Los Angeles have given residents a poor sense of what exists around them, myself being no exception to this.

In an attempt to challenge this I plan to improve my understanding of what is around me by mapping nearby areas, sites and buildings onto photos of Los Angeles. With UCLA's dorms, which are located on the uppermost section of the bowl shaped campus, offer fantastic vantage points to do this. However in order to gain a further understanding of what makes up this enormous city I have also attempted to map locales onto a photo of Los Angeles taken from the Griffith Park Observatory.

South facing view of Los Angeles from the Griffith Park Observatory

East facing view of UCLA with some of Los Angeles in the background from my dorm in Sproul Hall

South-west facing view of Westwood with Los Angeles and the West Coast in the background from De Neve Holly Hall

Map of Los Angeles showing the points and directions (blue arrows) at which photos were taken

No comments:

Post a Comment